- Pro-people and rights-based COVID-19 response is needed, MAG statement on the Philippine Government’s COVID-19 responseMAG StatementSeptember 3, 2021 More than a year in lockdown, the Philippine government still needs to understand that the imposition of wide-scale lockdowns will not suffice in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. By September 1, 2021, the Philippines recorded a total of two (2) million COVID-19 cases. With a population of 109 million people, only around 33 million doses have been administered, with 13.7 million individuals fully vaccinated, and 19.3
- Educational Video Series on Stress, Self-care, and Psychological First Aid is Now OpenMAG opens the registration for the educational video series for human rights defenders (HRDs). The videos tackle what stress is and how to manage it, self-care, and overview of psychological first aid. Interested participants can register at: bit.ly/RegisterMVS to get access to the videos.
- “Philippine government must guarantee health care of persons deprived of liberty and decongest prison population to reduce the risk of COVID 19 spread”, UATC Press Release on International Day in Support of Victims of Torture 2021United Against Torture Coalition (UATC) – Philippines June 26, 2021 PUBLIC STATEMENT Philippine government must guarantee health care of persons deprived of liberty and decongest prison population to reduce the risk of COVID 19 spread. Today, the United Against Torture Coalition (UATC)-Philippines, a network of 20+ CSOs of human rights organizations and individual human rights defenders, stands in solidarity with all anti-torture advocates, and victim-survivors and their families around the
Training and Advocacy Events
- In solidarity with victims, survivors, and their families – commemoration of 49th Martial Law DeclarationMagkaibang panahon ngunit tila nasa parehas pa rin na sitwasyon. Halos limang dekada na ang nakalipas, ngunit ang laban para sa hustisya at pananagutan ay patuloy paring hinahagilap ng mamamayan. MANINDIGAN PARA SA KARAPATAN, DIKTADURYA LABANAN!NEVER AGAIN TO MARTIAL LAW! #NeverAgain #NeverForget #DefendHumanRights #EndImpunity #DutertePanagutin
- ‘PROMOTE THE RIGHTS OF HEALTH WORKERS’As COVID-19 cases continue to rise, the SRA and other benefits are still yet to be released. Promote the rights of health care workers! Hear the voice of frontliners! Release the SRA now! #SaveOurFrontliners#WearAHeartSupportHCWs#ReleaseSRANow#ReleaseActiveHazardDutyPayNow#ReleaseMATNow#MassHiringNow#COVID19PH
- ‘PUBLIC HEALTH IS NOT JUST AN ISSUE OF HEALTH WORKERS, IT IS EVERYONE’S BUSINESS’Due to lack of benefits and government assistance, health care workers will stage a protest or resign en massé if they do not receive their benefits, such as the special risk allowance (SRA). The Medical Action Group stands with all health care workers to push the government for prioritize public interest over political considerations. #SaveOurFrontliners#WearAHeartSupportHCWs#ReleaseSRANow#ReleaseActiveHazardDutyPayNow#ReleaseMATNow#MassHiringNow#COVID19PH
Services and Documentation
- FOOD PACKS FOR FRONTLINERSMAG is now accepting food pack donations to be distributed to our front liners. Let us help them in these crucial times and give back to their sacrifices and efforts. You may send us a message on our Facebook Page for coordination.
- Stress Management for Persons Deprived of Liberty (PDLs) in some Metro Manila JailsMAG believes that persons deprived with liberty (PDLs) are to be treated with inherent dignity and rights, including the right to health. In observance of COVID-19 health protocols, jail visitations are limited to E-Dalaw where the PDLs can connect to their families and relatives through online platforms. To help PDLs cope with this situation, MAG together with Caritas Manila conducted stress management sessions on several city jails in Metro Manila,
- Telemedical Consultation and Relief Services for Partner Networks during the COVID-19 PandemicIn order to respond to the medical needs and stress relief of partner organizations (including non-government organizations, community-based organizations, and people’s organizations) during the COVID-19 pandemic, MAG has launched its teleconsultation services wherein networks and community partners are able to access medical and stress relief consultation and services through phone and online.
Capacity Building Resources
- WEBINAR SERIES: A year in pandemic: COVID-19 care, vaccination, and lessons learnedA 3-part webinar series was held by PMPI, MAG, INAM and COM which encouraged the participation of partner communities to strengthen their understanding on the COVID-19 situation and caring for people affected in their homes, COVID-19 vaccination, as well as the lessons learned after a year in a pandemic. The webinars, which were held last May 17, 19, and 21, 2021 can be viewed in this article, or through the
- Webinar on COVID-19 management, care, and preventionInaanyayahan kayo ng Medical Action Group sa aming natatanging webinar upang malaman ano ang mga bago hinggil sa pamamahala ng COVID19 at paano ang mga pamilya at komunidad ay may malaking bahagi sa pagsugpo at pagkalat ng COVID19. IKAW, AKO, TAYO KASAMA SA SOLUSYON SA COVID19 ABRIL 24, 2021 (SABADO) 10:00 AM – 12:00 NN Resource Speaker: Dr. Faith Gaerlan Watch the full webinar in this article, or through the
- #HumanRightsVoice: The voice of torture victimsDR. NEMUEL FAJUTAGANA is the chairperson of the Medical Action Group, a health and human rights organization comprising of physicians, nurses, dentists, psychologists, health students, and health workers that provides medical and psychological services for a community in need. Dr. Fajutagana will be the voice of the victim of torture and will discuss the psychological and mental suffering that a victim experiences that many can possibly relate with. Human Rights